It is easy to waste water and take it for granted. After all, here in the Mississippi-Rideau region, we have beautiful lakes and rivers all around us and a seemingly endless supply of groundwater beneath our feet. So why bother with water conservation?
- Protects drinking water sources from becoming depleted over time and helps combat the effects of growing populations, drought events and climate change
- Protects water quality because lower water levels result in poorer water quality since there is less water to dilute contaminants
- Reduces the cost of waste water treatment and water infrastructure expansion
- Extends the life of private septic systems
- Saves energy and reduces greenhouse gas emissions related to water heating and pumping
- Protects aquatic habitats
We all know the basics –install a rain barrel, take shorter showers, use a bucket to wash the car.
If you’re looking for some innovative, new ideas to challenge yourself to save water, check out: 100+ Ways to Conserve Water
Curious about your water use? Try this: Water Footprint Calculator